19 October 2011

IVF Attempt No 2

Sep 2011


D2 scan revealed around 20 follicles on both side (because of PCOS). Dr said he will be starting my treatment with Menopur 300iu. But before I was ordered to do a blood test to check my progesterone and estradiol levels.  Only if hormones are within the range I can start the treatment. I went to bangsar village and was window shopping till I get the results. 


After around 2 hours nurse called me to  inform that I could pick my medicine. I did my first injection in the clinic and continued with same dose from D2-D4. On D5 & 6 my dose was Menopur 225iu. During this time I felt very bloated, I drank a lot of water, consumed one or two eggs daily, and continues with my exercise routine. (1 1/2 hours cardio and 1/2 hour weights every other day) From D6, I also started my second daily injection, Cetrotide 0.25mg to prevent me from ovulating.


I was very nervous for my D6 scan, thinking of my previous experience of not responding to stimulating medicine very well. Scan revealed 3 follicles on L and 6 on R ovary.


From D7-9, I continued with same dose i.e. Menopur 225iu. Again I was nervous for D9 scan, because last scan Dr told big ones are on left, so I was thinking what if, like my first attempt if others did not grow. And considering the fact that Dr has reduced my dose.


Scan revealed 3 on L and 5 on R, which Dr said is exactly what he's looking for and was happy with my scan results. I went with my bladder full that day as Dr also did an abdomen scan to check my uterus lining. It was 6.8mm and Dr said above 6 is ok.


D10 my dose was 150iu & D11 no menopur only cetrotide. D11 scan revealed 8-9 follicles and again abdomen scan reveled my uterus lining was ok. 


On D11 night I also had to take Ovidrol shot to release my eggs, for egg pick up scheduled after 36 hours from injection time.


I was very nervous before egg pick up, considering my previous experiences. I kept thinking repeatedly 'what if, if they are empty sacks like last time'. My blood pressure spiked before my egg pick up.


I was little relieved to see confident Dr, cheerfully wishing me before my egg pick up.


While I was slowly getting back to reality after egg pick anesthesia, I heard someone calling my name. It was Dr, he came to inform me that I had 7 eggs. My next question was 'how are their quality?' (I didn't know that time Dr would not know about the quality till next day) Dr's answer was 'ok'. (May be he said that to relieve me)


After I was fully recovered from sedation and had a cup of milo, I was ready to go. (Nurse in the ward commended that I was very quick) I went upstairs to Dr's clinic and met with the nurse. Dr also made a quick visit to ask if I'm feeling ok. Dr was very confident he was telling that I might have some embryos to freeze this time. Well my answer was 'Well Dr, that depends on egg quality and sperm', Dr was 'Let's hope for the best'.


After I came back home I had severe cramps, it was almost as if I could not stand straight, and it was painful when I was coughing or laughing. After a days rest, next day I was feeling absolutely normal.


Due to my past experience, I asked nurse to inform me about the progress next day. From morning I nervously waited for the call from clinic. I was so nervous, I really can't recall me being so nervous in recent pass. Except 16 years back I was nervous like this when I was waiting for my GCE O/L results.


Finally around 9.30 am embryologist called me, (that was quick) ' you have 4 matured eggs, 3 fertilized'. I was quickly doing my math and comparing my results to other patients whom I know.


Patient 1 got 15 eggs, 12 fertilized, 6 good quality on D3
Patient 2 got 15 eggs, 11 fertilized, 2 transferred on D2, balance frozen


OMG my results is nothing compared to them, norm is 80% fertilization, in my case only 42%. From that point onward I was very stressed thinking if my embies would survive till D3.


I had two days before scheduled embryo transfer, first day I went shopping and did hair color  second day whole day I was busy cooking as we were hosting dinner for some friends at our place. It was a good distraction for me.


On embryo transfer day I arrive at the clinic, I emptied bladder one hour before scheduled transfer, and started drinking water. I took 2 glasses of water, when I changed cloths went in to the procedure room for abdomen scan, embryologist told my bladder was full. Thank God, this limit is bearable for me. 


My hubby was allowed to sit with me during transfer, but he too has to wear special cloths. He looked very funny with it, I was laughing at him. Good, some distraction for me.


After few minutes Dr came, he informed that 3 eggs had some chromosomal issue hence they could not inject sperm into it, and out of 4, 3 fertilized and 2 survived till Day 3, 3rd one did not divide into cells.


Dr said those two are good quality embryos and he'd be surprised if I don't get pregnant. I asked 'how many cells' & 'how about fragmentation'. One was 8 cell and other was 6 cell, fragmentation nil. Ok I'm satisfied with the results. I was hoping if all 3 survived till D3, it'll be good to transfer all 3, which means more chances of pregnancy. But 2 is ok.


Inserting speculum inside me is very very painful, even though some women don't feel any pain or only minor discomfort. May be it took around 10 minutes to do the transfer and it was done.


I brought my ipod and eye mask with me. so while I was resting I asked them to turn off the lights and was listening to music. Didn't even realize 10 minutes passing by. Afterwards I was allowed to pass urine, and rest another 30 minutes in recovery room.


We changed cloths, went to the clinic to get Lutel phase support medicine.(Duphaston (Oral Progesterone), Utrogestan (Vaginal insert Progesterone), and Progynova (Estrogen to start from 5th day post transfer)  Friendly nurse wished me luck and I am required to go back for my blood test 12th day post transfer.




Word of Caution - Maximum 2-3 glasses are adequate to have your bladder full, start drinking from an hour before the procedure. Don't over do because you will not be able to relax after embryo transfer if your bladder is very full.


For egg retrieval we are supposed to go fasting, you may feel uncomfortable if you have not emptied bowel in the morning. My tip is eat plenty of fruit and drink 8-10 glasses of water on previous night and  so that you can pass motion without any trouble. I ate one big guava which works well for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment