16 October 2011

Appointment with Dr Prashant Nadkarni

April 2011 - Sep2011

We both went to see Dr P. One good thing is, this clinic is closer to my hubby's office, which means he'll accompany me for all the appointments. During last two attempts I always go alone and my hubby comes only during procedures.

Dr listens to our history and shared that PCOS patients respond differently to IVF medicine. Not in a predictable manner, hence my past results. Dr asked me to do fasting blood test to check my insulin and vitamin D levels.

Hubby has to take Vitamin E, multi vitamin, Co-Q 10, Vitamin C & D. These medications will prevent DNA damage in sperms. For both of us its recommended to take Omega 3. We opted for flaxseed oil capsules.

I also did accupuncture, may be for a month and after a while I could not take needles any more, so I stopped.

Dr also told that having normal BMI i.e. below 25 is essential, because higher the weight is higher the rate of miscarriage.

My insulin levels were high, it has to be below 11. Insulin plays an important role in egg quality. Hence Dr prescribed glucophage xr500mg twice a day, along with metformin 500mg twice a day.

I took metformin after lunch  and dinner, and glucophage xr (extended release of metformin) after dinner and managed to bring down my insulin levels within the range.

Next is Vitamin D, my vitamin D levels were way below required levels. Vitamin D levels are important for uterus lining. So Dr prescribed GNC vitamin D 400 iu capsules 3 in the morning 3 in night, totally 2400iu daily to bring my vitamin D level under normal range. He also recommended I do swimming and be outdoors to get enough sunlight, which I'm not so fond of considering hot, humid, sweaty weather in kl.

By June 2011, my test revealed my Vitamin D levels are within the range. Dr said now I'm ready for my IVF.

We were hoping to do our IVF in July, but got interrupted by unforeseen travel opportunity. So we thought of doing it in end of August.

But after I returned from my holidays, due to my binging, my insulin levels had spiked up again. So I waited till Sep so that I can regulate my insulin levels.

Yes I managed bring my insulin under control and I'm ready for my next IVF.

No comments:

Post a Comment