16 October 2011

IVF Attempt No 1

Dec2010 - Jan2011


I was put on another month of contraceptive pills and I was also given metformin 500mg. When I started on metformin twice a day i.e after lunch and dinner, I felt very dizzy. Once after exercise I felt as if I'm almost going to fall, I came home and had a cup of orange juice and lied in the couch. Dr said it's one of the initial side effects of metformin and nothing to worry about.


This time I was given different medicine Puregon 200iu & Menopur 75iu from D2 to D11. My first scan was on D7, I was very nervous while I was lying in scan room. I was scared thinking about my previous experience, 'what if i don't respond to medicine' this cycle too? Luckily scan revealed 12 follicles on left and 7 on right ovary. Dr said he expect to collect around 10 eggs. Much relieved. I also have to start on Orgalutran injection from today till D11, to prevent ovulation.


D9 scan revealed 12 follicles on left and 6 on right. D11 scan revealed around 30. I was informed that they might not do embryo transfer for me due to high risk of Ovaries Hyper Stimulation Syndrome. (OHSS) I was very upset with this news, I didn't want to end this journey half way like this. Also research revealed that  chances of becoming pregnant with frozen embryos were much lower than fresh embryos. I also did a blood work to check oestradoil levels on that day.


I was devastated, but no choice right? I was hoping that if we get around 26 fertilized embryos (80% fertilization is the general norm) I can do 5 rounds of FET's.


I did my HCG injection on D11 and D13 was my big day. On day D13 after I woke up from my anesthesia, my hubby informs "7 eggs collected" and I say "WHAT????" & "How could it be?". Dr has left the clinic so I only was able to see embryologist. She said she's watching out my eggs. I said 'OK....'


After I reached home co-ordinator calls to inform that my eggs aren't very good quality. They have to wait till tomorrow to see fertilization. I was upset, bleeding whole night, had stomach cramps and fever @ 100.7F.


Next day we arrive at the clinic for a scan and to check the results. Apparently 4 fertilized out of 7 eggs, 3 are ok 1 on the 'look'. Scan revealed my uterus lining was little damaged hence Dr preferred to do embryo transfer on next cycle. Co-ordinator also told number of eggs retrieved correlates with my oestradiol levels which was 6303 before egg retrieval.


On egg collection day and on next day, I was put on drips to prevent OHSS. By evening after spending whole day in the ward, I decided I wanted to do embryo transfer. Because chances of embryo surviving thawing process is less and pregnancy with frozen embryos is less as well. And I didn't want to end this journey half way like this. Called Co-ordinator and informed that I want to do one embryo transfer.


They agreed on my point and one 4 cell D2 embryo was transferred on D15. Other 2 were frozen.


On D22 I noticed some red spotting, D23 red discharge with pieces and on D24 lot of red bleeding. I think it's my darling Aunty visiting me lol. I called Co-ordinator, she asked me to come for blood test any way on D25 and confirmed BFN.


Note : During stimulating period I was asked to drink plenty of water (I drank 8-10 glasses) and took 4-6 egg whites a day. Oh Gosh taking egg whites was unbearable, worse than giving jabs on me. I'm not used to eating eggs. I hate that smell. Still had to do it every day. Apparently albumin - protein in egg white prevents OHSS.


I also prefer doing injections by myself, than others poking into you. You just have to pinch that area and inject. Pain from pinch overlaps injecting pain most of the time.


I learnt at the end of this cycle, that there are so many hurdles you have to pass while doing IVF.


1. You should respond well for stimulating drugs (which I failed in my 1st Attempt)
2. Adequate amount good eggs should be retrieved (results of my IVF 1)
3. 80% or less should be fertilized (Never happened in my case)
4. Fertilized embryos should divide into cells & survive, 4 cells on D2, 6-10 cells on D3, blastocyst on D5 
(D2, D3 or blastocyst embryos are transferred, and it varies depending on clinics)


Embryo transfer is done only when all four hurdles are passed. I realise IVF is not so simple, very tuff emotionally challenging, mentally draining journey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment